Chemical Intolerance and Organic Foods

If you are among the subset of our population who is chemically intolerant, organic foods are the best choice for one simple reason— they are pesticide-free. The fewer pesticides you ingest or inhale, the better, and that especially goes for those suffering from Toxicant-Induced Loss of Tolerance (TILT), as well as those who are not.

Some pesticides accumulate in fat, such as chlorinated pesticides, for example DDT. Others, like organophosphates, do their damage, and are then eliminated from the body. This damage often occurs in the Central Nervous System, and does not go away so easily. This sort of damage is of special concern for chemically intolerant individuals who lack sufficient enzyme detoxification capacity— that is, they are unable to metabolize and eliminate particular foreign chemicals (xenobiotics) including organophosphate pesticides (OPs).

A perfect example is the subset of Gulf War Vets who were exposed to OPs but genetically did not have sufficient PON1 (paraoxonase enzyme) activity to get rid of it. In turn, they developed neurological damage, as do other people exposed to this class of chemicals. (Note: Dr. Clem Furlong is the international expert on PON1, the key to this detoxification process).

Two examples of the most common OP exposures are chlorpyrifos (Dursban) and diazinon, which are often used for exterminating pests/insects in homes or buildings.

Read more about integrated pest management.

-Dr. Claudia Miller